Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The arrival of our son.


At about 10 a.m. on Monday the 2nd of July, Kiri was getting very close to the eventual birth of our son. It was getting very intense now and Kiri was beginning to sweat and complaining of wanting to go for a poo and wee. Our midwife comforted and reassured her that this was the time and it would only take another round of pushes.

Kiri pushed with all her might while not breathing out her mouth and pushing it all through to her rear. I saw the head and started to encourage Kiri to give it another push.

With the help of our midwife, our child then came slivering out after floating in the water for 5 seconds had his first breath of air - Tihei Mauriora! I sat there looking at him in amazement. He looked a pale and purplish colour and was covered in thick gooey white stuff. After the midwife did a quick check of him I had my first hold. Man it was good - even the yucky stuff all over me, I had my 10 seconds of intimacy, I also cut his umbilical cord and then I handed him over to his mother. You know I was quite in awe of my wife and her strength through that whole ordeal - she was awesome! Talk about a tough lady. She had a cuddle and kisses and then jumped out of the pool and went for a shower. How times have changed?

No comments: