Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Labour

At 9 p.m. on Sunday night the first stage of labour began. Kiri went from room to room trying to find a comfortable position. By this stage I knew that birth was imminent so I started to move stuff around the lounge to make more space and declutter the room.

By 11p.m. her contractions were lasting a minute and were coming every 7-8 minutes. Every time they came she breathed heavily in and out to ease her pains. I encouraged her to keep her water bottle filled and to drink lots to keep hydrated.

By 3 a.m. her contractions were still going steadily but had increased in intensity. Kiri called her Mum and her sister to come around. Her mum was a great support as all mothers are, comforting her.

By 5 a.m. she called for us to massage her lower back. She complained of wanting to go to the toilet for a No. 2 but her mother said that was a sign that the baby was just about ready to come out. I guess around 6 a.m. she would have been in the transition stage of labour.

At 7.30 a.m. Kiri's pain had become very intense so I decided to call our midwife. She said for me to get the pool ready and that they would be around within the hour.

No comments: