Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Day 2

Overnight baby woke up once at 4.30 a.m. to have his nappy changed. He had a big poo full of meconium. Kiri also fed him and then after an hour he went back to sleep. So far though he has a been a good sleeper, and when he does wake he doesn't cry or anything just looks around. Of course he does cry when he has filled his nappy or is hungry.

Today the midwife came around again to do her daily check-ups and stuff, everything was all good. I managed to keep the house warm due to our newly purchased Dimplex Oil heater which was great but sometimes I thought baby may have been too hot because of his pinkish colouring.

After I had cooked porridge for breakfast I sat down to hold baby who had no treasure on because Kiri said he needed to air so he wouldn't get a rash. Funnily enough the boy urinated all over his Papa, to the delight of the girls!

I went to the Community Birth Services house to drop off the birthing pool and the calliphont. There I had a good talk to Eileen about the birth and how we were feeling about the whole thing which was great. I just expressed to her how glad I was coming to her antenatal classes and making us feel comfortable in having a home birth. Also how natural and normal it all felt.

During this time I had received a message from a friend. A taiaha (maori weapon - used ceremoniously by warriors these days) was ready for me to pick up. I initially had it made for my wife for her birthday but my friend had taken to long and had actually finished on the day my son was born. So I suspected that that was a sign for the taiaha to be gifted to him instead. What a beautiful taonga it was too!

We were joined in the afternoon by some Aunties from my village of Ratana. They bought gifts and well wishes for baby and watched some kapahaka. Later that night were joined by some other friends and relations and brought around some kai for a cup of tea and to see baby - of course. All in all it was a good day.

No comments: